Right now we have new hope, things are "looking up". We have a chance now to appreciate the small things in life. Even a chance to meet with friends for an outdoor coffee, drink or meal. How thrilling is that? following our period of "lockdown"?!
Recently a number of elderly people nearing the end of their lives were asked: what were their biggest regrets?
The number one and the clear winner on their lists was that they wished they had spent less time worrying.
In a similar vein, Australian care worker Bronnie Ware compiled a list of the four things her patients consistently said they regretted as they approached death:
- They wished they had the courage to live a life true to themselves, not the life others expected of them.
- They wished they had not worked so hard.
- They wished they had the courage to express their feelings.
- They wished they had stayed in touch more with their friends.
- And most of all, they wished they had allowed themselves be happier.
So how can we ensure that we don’t have similar regrets when we reach old age ourselves?!
Beyond each individual’s personal thoughts there is a reservoir of wisdom, insight and deeper intelligence just waiting to be tapped. A lot of what we think is true about our lives is actually just a story we tell ourselves. So let us consider during this month of June to tell ourselves a new story about what is possible and how we can do things differently. By doing this we can dramatically change around our future.
In conclusion, a few important points to remember.
- It is not what we’re born with or what happens to us in life that determines our destiny, it’s the choices we make along the way.
- No matter what has happened to us in the past, we will always have choices about how we move forward.
- When we live fully in the present, we have more power available to us to do whatever it is we want to do.
Change of thought pattern takes time but making a definite plan of action on the changes you wish to make is your starting point.
Call me today for a complimentary chat on how you can begin to re-assess those thoughts. I support individuals in Leitrim and Dublin and locations in between. Do not delay in taking that first step.